Direct Answer To The Question
Yes, absolutely. You can cook all the food you fry in an air fryer using a convection oven also. The process of cooking is the same in both of them; a cooking mechanism powered by hot air flow is common; the rate of air flow and the capability to cook large quantities of food varies in both. Although the taste and texture of the end items differ, we can cook the same food in both of them almost all the time.
An Air Fryer
An air fryer is frying equipment that comes as a countertop appliance for deep frying the food. It uses conventional heating method to pass hot air all over the food that is kept in a basket inside the equipment and fries it like it is done in conventional deep frying method of submerging the food in oil. So, it only needs a little to no oil to fry food. However the crispness and texture of a fried food is produced as it is.
Difference Between An Air Fryer And A Convection Oven
It may seem like the air fryer is using the same technology as that in a convection oven. But, the only common thing between the two is the presence of a fan. In convection oven, the heat is generated using a heating element either powered by electricity or gas while the heat generated in an air fryer is using “Rapid Air Technology”: In an air fryer the fan is located at the top and the heated air is forced on the food at a faster rate than in the convection oven. This accelerated air fries the food faster without any need of oil or moisture as in the case of a convection oven. So, the food fried using an air fryer is drier and even healthy since less or no oil is included. Another reason for the faster cooking time in an air fryer is that it can hold only a small amount of food in that little bucket kept inside and because of small overall size; the fan is located in proximity to the food, passing the hot air directly to the food.
Can You Air Fry Using A Convection Oven?
Frankly speaking, you can cook all the items that are fried in an air fryer with the help of a convection oven also. There will be a little difference in the speed of air flow and hence the rate of cooking, but, it can be compensated by the amount of food that can be cooked in an oven. The space inside an air fryer is less and a large amount of food can only be fried in batches. But in a convection oven you can cook using many trays at once. Since the food is arranged in a tray rather than the case of stacking the food in an air fryer, the air flow in a convection oven will be even and provide even baking. When you are cooking for one or two people and cook often, you can go for an air fryer. However, it will be helpful to use a convection oven instead if you cook for a large number of people.
Advantages Of Using An Air Fryer
- The cooking process is quick in an air fryer
- It occupies only a little space than a convection oven
- It can be placed elsewhere like a cupboard when the cooking is done
- It is easily portable
- It will provide better results if you need drier food than conventionally deep fried food
Disadvantages Of Using An Air Fryer That Can Be Overcome By Replacing With A Convection Oven
- Large quantity of food can only be prepared in batches in an air fryer while a single bake in a convection oven will provide the food in large quantity
- Cost of an air fryer is a bit higher with uses and results almost similar to a convection oven
- Cleaning the air fryer after frying is a tedious process
- Toasting and cooking vegetables won’t be efficiently done using an air fryer
- Every food that is fried using an air fryer can be cooked in a convection oven at a reduced price and time (if large quantity is cooked)
- Using an air fryer creates a loud noise that can be irritating to some people
- You cannot even place a chicken that is more than 3 pounds inside the food basket of an air fryer comfortably
- An air fryer will be a perfect choice if you are cooking crispy French fries that too just crispy on the outside and losing the taste within
- Although a fry made using convection won’t get the crispiness provided by an air fryer, the taste will be very good with expense of just the brown color created in the case of an air fryer