Answering The Question Directly
You can, absolutely. Yogurt can be added to your Keto diet if the chosen levels of carbohydrate, protein, and fat are applicable for a Keto diet ingredient’s guidelines. Since yogurt can have various levels of nutrients depending on the type of it, it is necessary to choose it wisely. The common “have to know” of a Keto diet are explained below.
First Of All, What Is A Keto Diet?
A Keto diet, also known as the caveman diet is a low-carbohydrate high-fat diet that is mostly used to reduce weight by reducing the intake of carbohydrates. The name caveman diet had come to the diet since it is based on reducing all the items that came after the invention of agriculture. The main focus of the diet is to increase the use of protein and fat to gain energy.
What Actually Happens In There?
The common source of energy for the metabolism of our body is Carbohydrates. When we reduce the intake of carbohydrates for some time and replace them with proteins and fats, the body utilizes these proteins or fats to gain energy by producing fuel molecules called Ketones. This process of ketones production is called Ketosis. This in turn reduces the body weight and accounts for many health benefits including a decreased blood sugar level, weight loss, etc. Type 2 diabetes patients are always advised to follow the keto diet.
Types Of A Keto Diet
Some of the types of Keto diets based on the levels of proteins and carbohydrates are listed below.
- Standard Keto diet – 20 to 50 grams of Carbohydrates
- Very-Low-Carb Ketogenic diet
- MCT Ketogenic diet
- Cyclical Ketogenic diet
- High Protein Ketogenic diet
Health Benefits Of A Keto Diet
Although there are no conclusive results on the research of health benefits of a Keto diet, these are some benefits believed to be gained by a Keto.
- A boost in the overall immune system
- Prevention from type 2 diabetes
- Lower the possibilities of a heart attack or stroke
- Weight loss
- Decrease blood sugar levels and insulin levels
- Less hunger
- Appetite control
- Increased physical metabolism and endurance
- High blood pressure and migraine
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Brain injuries
Yogurt – Nutrients And Uses
Yogurt is a healthy, high protein food material. It can be used as a tasty snack in our diet. Yogurt is a milk product. It is prepared by the fermentation of milk. Yogurts are highly enriched with proteins, calcium, and other vitamins. Some research results have shown that yogurt can help in reducing body weight and prevent from type 2 diabetes. Since the main intention of a Keto diet is to reduce the body weight and protection of diabetes, Yogurt can be added to it.
Yogurt – Nutrients And Uses
- Low fat – Low fat or non-fat yogurt are made of a little or zero percent of milk
- Greek Yogurt
- Non-dairy Yogurt
Adding Yogurt In A Keto Diet
- You can find a low-carb yogurt for a Keto diet
- If the fat content is low, add some cream or oil to it
- Greek yogurt is rich in protein to be added to a Keto diet
- A5 ounces of Greek Yogurt contains about 5 grams of Carbs and 11 grams of protein that can be preferred over a high carb yogurt of 20 to 50 grams
- The presence of vitamins B and D is also a great addition
- It will be better if the serving size is low
- Sugar-free Yogurt along with peanut butter can be a great snack addition to a keto diet
- Full fat Yogurt can also be added
If chosen correctly based on the carb levels, Yogurt can be added to a Ketogenic diet for more benefits. However, more results on the benefits of a Keto diet is not conclusive yet.