Formwork is a temporary or permanent mold in which the concrete and similar material are poured. Timber is known to be the most common material in formwork. In concrete construction, the formwork is use to support the shuttering moulds.
The construction of formwork is time-consuming and expends up to 20% to 25% cost of the structure or even more, you could find a budget-friendly formwork service like Cassaform for Formwork Services Melbourne.
Requirements Of Good Formwork
- The material should be of low cost and reusable.
- The most important factor is that the material should be waterproof so that it should not absorb water from concrete.
- It should be strong enough to take all the external loads.
- It should be in light in weight so that the transfer is easy.
Uses Of Formwork
- The formwork moulds give shape and size to the concrete mix.
- It controls the position and arrangement of structure.
- It is used to take externals temporary loads.
Types Of Formwork Material
Formwork For Different Structural
In concrete construction formwork is commonly provided to give shape for different structure which is:
- Slabs and beans
Wall form resists the lateral pressure created by newly mixed concrete are in liquid or semi liquid material. The pressure and the magnitude of live load is quite large on permanent floor.
The material in column form must be varying with column shape. The wood and steel is manly used for rectangular and square column. The round column forms are mostly pre-manufactured by materials like paper wood and fibre reinforced plastic.
Slabs And Beam Forms
The slabs and beam form consist of sole plates, wedges, head tree, planks, and batten.
It consists of vertical and inclined posts. The ladders are mostly 7.8 cm * 10 cm in size. The cross joints is about 5cm *10cm.
The process of removal of formwork is known as stripping. The time of removal of formwork depends upon the following factors;
Type of cement
If we have rapid hardening cement than it takes less time as compared to ordinary Portland cement (OPC)
Ratio of concrete mix
If the ratio of concrete is high then the concrete gain strength is fast, as compared to weak ratio of concrete.
The water absorb process (Hydration) is faster in hot weather condition as compared to cold and humid condition.
|Sr. no.||Structural form||OPC Cement||Rapid hardening cement|
|1||Beam side ,wall and columns||2 to 3 days||2 days|
|2||Slab||4 days||3 days|
|3||Beams||8 days||5 days|
|4||Arches and beams||14 days||5 to 8 days|
Loads On Formwork
The types of load act on formwork structure are:
- Dead weight by concrete.
- Hydrostatic pressure of the concrete.
- Live load due to working labours.
- Impact effect at the time of pouring concrete into the formwork.